Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Another Shout in the Crowd


I believe i wasn't very far from the truth when i say that most - if not all - bloggers out there, at one point on their 'career'-line stumbled and quite probably gave a considerable thought upon AdSensing. Or, making money from the internet. In fact, even until now, i personally knew people who just setting up their blog, flocking it with various Ads, researching for the so-called 'high-paying keywords' and turns into a statistic whore, spending most of his/her time to ogled his/her blog's various stats in hope that it would generate an influx of proverbial dollars. Some even went as far as breaking the advertiser's terms such as emulating clicks, or the likes. Well, with many reported news on Google (probably the #1 internet advertiser with its AdSense service) banning some of the advertisers for (wether allegedly true or no) the fraud practice that breaking the advertiser's terms, i wouldn't recommend the fraudulent practice which albeit good for a first, or even a second paid check from Google, won't made you see a third and a possibility to get banned from the service for life on top of that.

I started to blog somewhere in 2004. I had to dig my archive to proximate the exact date. But yeah, 2004 is a pretty close approximation. This is my third blog, and it certainly wouldn't be the last. I've been written almost 500 articles to date, and some 200 of them was film reviews. I'm going to use one of my favorite word, 'infinitesimal' but hey, 200+ film reviews, that's not a bad deed for an amateur such as myself.

Somewhere in 2006, i was also obsessed with AdSense. But, as i found out that just like every other business, AdSensing also requires determination to get it even started - something that i lacked considerably at the time - i realized that big money from the internet without a condensing effort? Big bull-sh*t. And after that big slap of 'failure' smeared all over my face with a huge red painted letters, somewhere in 2007, i turned my attention to one thing that actually matters the most in every blog, contents. Money? Just a bonus. Still not enough to made me relinquished my day-job, but i'm getting there. I figured out that i need to upped the ante just a bit. After all, a significant improvement in terms of visitors, and subscribers could be seen right after i changed my direction in the way i blogged. Let me underlined my statement, significant improvement.

Now, i was asking myself, and it has been for a while, actually, about how would i upped the ante. First of all, something to consider, i've got a personally significant content to account for. 239 articles on film reviews are out there written under my name, my REAL name. All that, and almost impossible means to search through the archive had i continued to use a free-service blog engine immediately prompted the need of a professional blog engine. I've considered my option on the subject, and decided that i would be using site5 web-hosting in the future (hopefully, before my birthday this year, to made it on time with the Jakarta International Film Festival if there'd be one this year, that is). In an ideal world, i would of course built this site with Java technologies. But really, why'd i want to kill a mosquito with a nuclear bomb? Added to that, it's fairly easy to see that any web-hosting service that provide a Java functionality are usually expensive. And given my past experience with PHP, i had vowed that i don't want to use PHP anymore ever again, further eliminates most of my other options. With site5, i had planned to built the site with Ruby on Rails. Sure, i know, i know, Ruby still had some issues on scalability, even prompted a blog-war on the subject. But, all things considered, Ruby is still a relatively 'new-and-exciting' language. Plus, some of the best Java IDEs in the market had a Ruby functionality built-in. So i figured, "Hey, what do I got to lose? I had too much of a free time anyway".

Therefore, i hope i could stay true to myself just for this time and you could see a new look to all these fiascos in a short future. For the time being, i want to get married first (June 29th, folks) and probably a week-leave honeymoon.

Digg this

No comments: