Thursday, August 14, 2008

Wheel of Time Movie Adaptation

Universal Pictures has 7 figures paid for rights to bring Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series to the movie screen. I wasn't excited. At all. I had a significant doubt that Universal Pictures could really pull this off. Really, Wheel of Time is a very vast world, with incredible details that had spanned for 11 books, hundreds (HUNDREDS) of prominent characters that even to exclude one of them is going to unbalance the ship, numerous warring factions each with their own motives, and not to mention countless artifacts and magics each with their own origin. I couldn't imagine how a screen writer could put a single volume of the serie into a feature-length film. Even if the film would runs for three hours. It would be really really hard for them to pull it off, if not impossible. Good luck with that.

I think I put it correctly when I say that just like most boys my age, I got acquainted with Fantasy genre through Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy. I picked the book quickly after the first film, and it's only a matter of time before I made a transition from the relatively simple Lord of the Rings world to George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire world and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time world. Frankly, had you asked me, if you think that The Lord of the Rings is already a too heavy and too complicated reading material, then you wouldn't stand a chance to read through 11 books of Wheel of Time. So, therefore, even if I would love and utterly curious to see how Wheel of Time translates into a silver screen, I was pessimist that it would please the fan of the series.

Digg this

No comments: