Saturday, August 02, 2008

The X-Files: I Want to Believe (2008)

The X-Files - I Want to Believe. I was a pessimist when it comes to sequels. Especially if the original was out ten years ago, from a celebrated TV series that has deeply integrated into a special part of my childhood and which I've grown a fondness upon. Further, the sequel was subtitled "I Want to Believe" which more like a justification from its creators (Chris Carter and co.), an echo of hope that they themselves didn't quite confident with it and need to put an assurance to us, the target audiences, even to themselves that they wished to believe that the film would turn out okay.

Watching the original X-Files film, for me (first time almost nine years ago, second time just a couple of days ago), it's like watching three episodes of the series crammed into one two hours cinema experience. That's not saying much, I know, but here's the catch, these three episodes were actually among their best episodes. I wish i could say the same with The X-Files - I Want to Believe.

Some years had passed since the last we saw Scully and Mulder shoulder-to-shoulder against the unexplainable, logic-defying cases that is The X-Files. The X-Files has been closed, Dana Scully is pursuing her career in medical and Fox Mulder, bearded and grumpy, as ever, are living together in a secluded house. They had cut their ties to the FBI. Meanwhile, a case of missing FBI agent and subsequent tip from a 'phsycic' who claims to have a 'vision' on the agent led the FBI to open the old files and requested Mulder to be back on the investigation team. Of course, in order to have the film rolling, Mulder agreed on one condition that Scully hitch the ride as well. Now, this led me to questioned the fed's credibility. I mean, come on, a tip from a 'phsycic' who claims to have a 'vision'? Well, whatever works for you, Carter. Anyway, my level of appreciation to this film hits the extreme low when we saw a picture of George W. Bush accompanied with the familiar Mark Snow's theme. I murmured to myself, "What the fuck was that?" that apparently was too loud that made people who sit immediately to my left thrown her frown at me. It's not that I'm pro with George W. Bush and all, but really, the scene was absolutely a clear in-joke and mockery but just like every bad jokes out there, I don't get it.

For me, the appeal from X-Files series was its conspiracy theory and on-and-off chemistry between Scully, the skeptic and Mulder, the believer. Mind you, I love X-Files series, so in love that I was actually proud to share the same birth date (obviously different years) with Fox Mulder. Therefore, when the former was clearly absent, it's only logical that it left me with a whim of un-satisfaction. Even so, I totally dig the decision to this. After missing for some years, it's only appropriate that Chris Carter made the decision in order to gain new audiences who never ever heard of the X-Files before (I believe, that these new audiences are actually those that can't get the ticket for The Dark Knight and decided to bought ticket for another film that they haven't seen. Thus, The X-Files). Thus, even if I sorely missed CSM and the Lone Gunmen, I could understand. But, what infuriates me more is the apparent lack of commitment from David Duchovny and especially, Gillian Anderson to reprise their role. Maybe it's just me, but I cannot see their mutual respect to each other's view, their genuine concern of each other that so apparent in the series and in the first film, and, this is the worst, although they have been living together, I see no affection, let alone love between these two.

The film's "mystery" was also largely disappointing. The execution was dull and tedious, the revelation was a "meh", and even if at one point, Mulder was put into a peril, we (well, I) don't see any immediate believable danger that threatened him and considering that this happens at the near climax of the film, it shows that how much detached the characters of this film to yours truly here.

My rating: *1/2 / **** - A largely lame excuse for a "reunion", let's hope that Chris Carter (who was excited about a "sequel") could put his feet on the ground again, and let this film gone into a forgotten history.

Digg this

No comments: