Monday, October 20, 2008

The Strangers (2008)

The Strangers. The positive buzz generated around this film has promised this film to be a sleeper hit. It does, and more. In fact, it is more than likely that this film would ended up as one of the two best thriller/horror film of the year in my list. Although, given the shock value of the film, I would give Funny Games a slight edge. Just a slight, though.

The film opens with a word that surely going to sent some viewer's mind troubled. "The brutal events that took place there are still not entirely known" Peace-loving audiences who doesn't want to get troubled or annoyed with a film should leave the theater immediately. Kristen McKay (Liv Tyler) and James Hoyt (Scott Speedman) is a couple. One night in February, 2005 (ow, yes, this film is based on true events), they went from a wedding-party to Hoyt's summer house. And well, as these summer houses goes as seen in the films, they are always pretty much secluded. No neighbors, no phones, no cars passing by, which made a perfect choice of place for individuals with an appetite for murder as these so called "The Strangers" in this film to stalk their preys. One time in the film, Kristen asks "The Strangers" of why they were doing what they were doing. Their answer is simply, "Because you're home" and THAT is what I called terror.

The first build-up scene of the film (the first thirty minutes or so of the film) is awesome. I felt Kristen's distress of having someone knocking the front door of your house at four a.m, not knowing who they are and what they were up to. Suddenly, those walls around my room, as surely as those walls around Kristen's house, closing upon me, confined me almost to a point where it almost choked me. This feeling persists, and stays, right until the end.

Well, I don't have anything else to say, but it is in my opinion that our horror filmmakers should rely to the purely human's side of the evil instead of re-hashing the idea of "boo" scenes, sudden appearances, and long haired ghosts. These ideas are already old and stale, anyway. After all, if you asked me, the only thing capable of pure evil in this world is more often than not, are human.

My rating: *** / **** - Although most unlikely, I hope that this film (with Funny Games) could made into this years' Jakarta International Film Festival in December or at least into this year's INAFF in November (if Saw V could made it into this festival, I don't see any reasons of why Funny Games or this film couldn't made it into the festival as well but we shall see) for I am eager to re-experience the whole thing in bigger screen. Currently in the top two of my list of this year's best thriller/horror film.

Digg this

No comments: