Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Twist of Fate

December 2006, on one unremarkable morning, i went to work as usual, but instead of going straight at work, i took a brief detour. With a brown envelope in my hand, i went to the front-office of a relatively unknown company but, a wealthy one. Really wealthy. I asked the front-officer (you know, those guys with searching suspicious eyes) and handed him the brown envelope. That brown envelope was the one and only one application letters that i had sent to apply for job in hand-delivered manner (i usually trusted the postal service or emails). I immediately forget about the envelope.

Five months later, i got a call, asking me to attend an academic and physcological test. In my brief history as a job-seeker, physcological tests never went well, i had tried to polish my answers in order to made it less-extreme than in reality, but of course, to no avail. So, i decided that i'm just going to be myself. Answered all those trick questions about what would you do, or how do you behave, with the simplest answer that first popped-up in my mind, without a momentary pause to think. The academic tests however was entirely different matter. Besides a logical tests involving mechanics and numbers, there's an eight questions essay, one of which asked me about what i think about .Net (dot-net) technology. I answered the questions in simple words. "I don't care about .Net, i've been a Java devotee, and a proud Open-Source society member." That exactly what i had answered the question with. Everybody who knows about my answer, unanonimously voted me off the competition. In my defense, however, i had been asked about what i think about .Net technology, and i answered the question truthfully, i don't care about .Net and look where i'm at.

Confident that i had blew off my chance, i went to my usual daily routines as software developers. Coding, sleeping, eating, coding, sleeping, eating, and so forth. Until one day, roughly a month since the fiasco at the test, i got another call. This time, an invitation to attend the interviews with users and Human Resources. It went well, if i could say so, and nothing special about the interviews. And then, a week later (that was last Tuesday), came the big news, i got invited to another interview with Board of Directors.

This is the first time i had such interview. So, my girlfriend insists me to go and bought a suit, and cut my hair. Now, i've never bought a suit before, my mom usually takes care of my wardrobe selection, therefore, after consulting for an hour with my girlfriend via telephone about which suit i should bought, i leave with one dark blue suit, that costs me quite a fortune.

The interview itself went quite well. After feeling the room in the moment i entered the room, i felt at ease right away, and so everything they needed to know went smoothly with pride and confidence. I even shared their laugh. I've got only one problem with one of the Director though, when i said that "your company's website is suck". I think that she felt insulted with my comment, and ask me in return, "tell me what you read in our website", i said, "i dont know". She felt her pride and with mocking smile she said, "Then that means that you're not an attentive person". I said to her, right away, "Ma'am, i browse for tens maybe hundreds websites everyday, and when i quick-scanned a particular web-page and decided that it's not interesting, then it wouldn't be worth the time i spend in reading. It's just a common web-user behavior" Her loss of words is apparent, and you know, i had said before, it's nice to feel that you're on top.

Today, i got called from the company again, she said, that i'm in, and i had to made another trip to the company tomorrow to signs for things.

Heh, now i could really leave this place.

Hopefully my next blog post will come from my new office. Matta ne..

Digg this

2 comments:

Unknown said...

good luck at the new place, I got a feeling that this is gonna be a great place for you...

Anonymous said...

Awh. Congrats, bro!
Wish you'll have better time there ^^