Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Random Shorts (7)

Random TV ramblings.

Ever seen TV series lately? I'm not really a fan of a TV serie. I believe that i had pointed it out quite often that i can't really commit to stick to any TV episodes for more than several episodes let alone several seasons. So yup, Lost, Heroes, or whatever TV series that people had said that they were good, and would give nothing to missed its single episode hadn't really caught my attention. Heck, i'm not even finished with Lost season 1 and Heroes season 1. Alas, i had my share of TV series. Deadwood, for instance. Awesome Western, awesome cast, an R-rated series that doesn't think highly of itself (see: Heroes). But i just only seen the first season and never really stepped further than that. Dexter, is another. Another R-rated series about murder, another one that doesn't think highly of itself. And i've been planning to sit through for another season (season three). Pushing Daisies, is another, but probably won't go further than season one. Given if, the writers after three months strike decided to back to work on its next episodes.

The problem with TV series is that they tend to relies on its viewer that often they retained the previous seasons' experience. That irked me. Whenever, say, i stumbled upon a twelfth episode of Lost season three, having only seen several first episodes of season one, i would completely lost. Literally. In order to really enjoyed the experience, i would have to look for the previous seasons. A complete waste of time if you asked me. That's why i prefer independent TV series, a comedic ones that in order to enjoy a single episode, you won't have to attain a knowledge beyond its basic set-up. Friends, for instance, you'd only need to know all of its six characters. The Simpsons, is another, where you'd only need to know each of the member of The Simpsons family. And reality shows. To merely commit to single season for a reality show? I could really afford that.

I've been eye-ing for two reality shows these days. Survivor season sixteen, Fans vs Favorites, and American Idol season seven.

Survivor is always my favorite reality show. I mean, better than average host (Jeff Probst), engaging games, tribal councils, and girls in skimpy bikinis? What's there not to like? But, for sixteen seasons, i could count only two seasons where i follow through its episodes for the whole season. Survivor sixteen has recently sent its third contestant home and for three episodes, it gets better. In my book, an episode of Survivor is at its best when you don't know who is the name of the contestant that pulled out from the votes. And for the last two episodes, it did just that.

American Idol claimed to had its best season so far. Previously, i never really get into American Idol before its best six, or seven. And for the previous six seasons, Kelly Clarkson is the only Idol winner that i really did genuinely like. I had her first album, by the way, to show how much i liked her. For the seventh season, i had my ears on since the first episode. Alas, there's only four contestants so far that were my favorite so far. Brooke White. Her pale-complexion, framed by a pale yellow curly hair, her casual sense of style (not too skimpy, not too sexy, just ordinary), and her clear blue eyes won me over right since the day one. My girlfriend had this question mark above her head when i said that she was my favorite. Apparently, she didn't quite like her as much as i do. Or she's simply jealous. Carly Smithson. Flatly, the consistently best voice of the herd (well, probably because that she has a considerably more camera-time than any other contestants. Only time would tell wether she was a really the best voice of the herd. But, this far, i would said and let it be that way). Ramiele Malubay and finally, Michael Johns. Anyone who could sing Bohemian Rhapsody, or any other song sung by Freddie Mercury, and didn't prompt me to frown my eyebrow would get my vote. By default.

Digg this

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also like Michaal Johns, and yes, I chose him since he sang Bohemian Rhapsody on Hollywood week. I do hope he'll continue until big 12 :D

Anonymous said...

i really like your writing....