Friday, December 07, 2007

Badly Written Reviews

When one decides to express one of his feelings toward something with utter clarity and could be read (or heard) publicly, one should be prepared to face with the turmoils sparked from the difference between the expressions written (or spoken) from the author (or speaker) and other's who reads or listens to it. In my opinion, that's the way free-speech should've worked. But of course, we're living in a world where ideals are often ignored. There'd be times when you just can't accept other's opinions because simply you refused to acknowledge the truth behind what (s)he said or because you had a firm opinion that you are right and therefore everybody else is wrong, and they should know that. Oh, i was guilty at that as well. More than once, i simply ignored one's opinion because i thought that (s)he was a lesser person than me. Although, of course, i was wise old enough to not making any attacking comments on other's opinion should i felt that his/her opinions are an utter rubbish.

In short, not everyone like Jan Doense who surprised me earlier today by making a comment in this blog under the post where i was straight-forwardly bashed his short work, Ver Weg. I wouldn't change my opinion, though. That would be a lie. But, had i the one whose hard works bashed by a complete stranger who did nothing but talk, there's a fair change that i would be furious. His complete respect toward my opinion merely shows that he's a greater man than i. Well, anyway, i think it could be said that, the bashings, the indifferences, and the harsh critics were what should've been expected by someone whose line of works requires pleasing others, such as writers, painters, and for a man like Jan Doense, a film director. Now, that makes me wonder, how would Uwe Boll, a generally agreed one of the worst film directors working today would react to critics which as far as i know, hasn't been really kind to him and his works?

But again, not everyone like Jan Doense.

For one, i'm writing a review as a hobby. English is clearly not my mother's tonuge language, and i had no background whatsoever on a film-making theory et cetera. I merely wrote what i felt toward a film. And true enough, that sometimes i based my dislike to a film upon a simplisistic and rather ridiculous reasons. There's no two men alike. Even if they had been identical twins, some difference ought to sprout. And again, i merely wrote reviews as i see it, based on my own reasonings and taste, and more or less, as a hobby and to hone my writing skills. Afterall, these guys whose i aimed my reviews at, had achieved something that i had only dared to dream for a very long time. Film-making. In a way, now that i think of it, i only made a fool out of myself by pretending that writing reviews would take me somewhere. Somewhere i had wanted for a long time.

Anyhoo, it's clear that my writing style needs to be re-worked. For instance, i felt very very guilty that i had used the word 'terrible' a couple of times when i reviewed Ver Weg. No, really, Mr.Doense, i want to apologize. I would tried to soften the word and adding several more literary words into my vocabulary next time i wrote a review.

Oh, and it's Friday already, already got a weekend booked by films as the 9th Jakarta International Film Festival (Jiffest) kicked-off tonight. Gotta get home earlier today, grab some quality rests, as tomorrow and Sunday, promises a loooonnnngggg day. Expect the Jiffest reviews starting next Monday.

Digg this

No comments: