Friday, December 14, 2007

Golden Globe Awards 2008 Nominations

Welcome to the award seasons. What's that? Festival Film Indonesia 2007? Sorry. But you had to look elsewhere for that. I'm not intend to write anything whatsoever about the award. I'm keeping a close eyes on that though, but i think i'm not going to waste anymore of my energy toward that direction. Instead, i look to Hollywood. For the Golden Globe 2008 nominations had been announced.

Best Motion Picture - Drama
American Gangster
Denzel Washington and Russel Crowe in roles not unlike at all to those of Al Pacino and Robert de Niro in Heat? In an era where Bugsy Malone and Al Capone reigned? Oh, i'm so there, just when this film hit the local theater anyway? That's the question.
Atonement
I had to give up my tickets to Atonement at this year's Jiffest (i should've seen it yesterday evening), but it was rainy and i had tons of work to do anyway. Yet, i'm not entirely felt there's something missing about it.
Eastern Promises
David Cronenberg and Viggo Mortensen follow up to the excellent A History of Violence (not a sequel!)? Damn. Again, when this film would hit (if ever) the local theater anyway?
The Great Debaters
Yeah, um, Denzel Washington led a group of relatively unknown schoolers to up against Harvard's debate team? This would be one of those underdog film thing that supposed to made you feel good about it afterwards. Not interested, if you asked me.
Michael Clayton
A slow thriller with George Clooney up front? My girlfriend would blindly bought the ticket for this film. Truth be told, i'm as well.
No Country for Old Men
Coen brothers did what they did best in this film. Need i say more? One of my best experience in Jiffest 2007 so far.
There Will Be Blood
Paul Thomas Anderson, one of my favorite director team-up with one of my favorite actor, Daniel-Day Lewis in a film that fit into my favorite genre.

My pick: If it came to pick, i would pick either No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood. But since i haven't seen There Will Be Blood? That pick would have to wait.

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Across the Universe
Charlie Wilson's War
Hairspray - the inclusion of this film sparked my immediate 'WTF' response.
Juno
Ellen Page all the way. Ellen Page all the way. And just to make myself clear, Ellen Page all the way. Third film about unwanted pregnancy this year, and the only one that i hadn't seen. And uh, did i mentioned about Ellen Page?
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Jhonny Depp is back again with Tim Burton

My pick: Juno all the way. Though, where's Superbad? Where's Knocked Up? The inclusion of Hairspray made me blow raspberry. But hey, to each his own.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
George Clooney in Michael Clayton
Daniel-Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood
James McAvoy in Atonement
Viggo Mortensen in Eastern Promises
Denzel Washington in American Gangsters

My pick: Daniel-Day Lewis. Even though of all the five nominations, i hadn't seen any one of them :p

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Julie Christie in Away From Her
Jodie Foster in The Brave One
Angelina Jolie in A Mighty Heart
Keira Knightley in Atonement

My pick: Should i really tell? Of course, it's Cate Blanchett. Always Cate Blanchett.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Jhonny Depp in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Ryan Gosling in Lars and the Real Girl
Tom Hanks in Charlie Wilson's War
Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Savages
John C. Reilly in Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

My pick: Tough one, but i'd go with John C. Reilly.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Amy Adams in Enchanted
Nikki Bionsky in Hairspray
Helena Bonham Carter in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Marion Cotillard in Mome, La
Ellen Page in Juno

My pick: Oh, oh, the decisions. I had to made choice between two of my favorite actress, Amy Adams and Ellen Page. I'd go with Ellen Page just because Juno promises more excellency than that of Enchanted.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Casey Affleck in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men
Philip Seymour Hoffman in Charlie Wilson's War
John Travolta in Hairspray
Tom Wilkinson in Michael Clayton

My pick: Between the two. Casey Affleck or Javier Bardem

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Cate Blanchett in I'm Not There
Julia Roberts in Charlie Wilson's War
Saoirse Ronan in Atonement
Amy Ryan in Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton in Michael Clayton

My pick: Another easy pick. I'd say Golden Globe was crazy if they don't pick Cate Blanchett who plays Bob Dylan.

Best Director
Tim Burton in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Ethan Coen, Joel Coen in No Country for Old Men
Julian Schnabel in Scaphandre et le papillon, Le
Ridley Scottt in American Gangster
Joe Wright in Atonement

My pick: Coen brothers.

Golden Globe Awards ceremony will be held on Sunday, January 13th 2008.

Digg this

No comments: