Friday, April 04, 2008

Random Shorts (12)

Damn, i really missed my muse. I really need to experience good films to inspire me in writing. I had several half-cooked writing though, but none worth mentioned. Even I hated the last several posts of mine myself.

The content of this post would be exactly look like the content of the Random Shorts #10 in which i fired up my iTunes and play 10 tracks randomly. But this time, as an added twist (whoa.. the tension *shudder*) the first track is not randomized.

1. Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize - Fear of a Blank Planet
My first introduction to Steve Wilson's project was through this album even though that i had heard about this project for quite a while and Steve had started the project since the late 80's and had practically shunned every mainstream and pop influence to continue made music like we were still in the 70's. My initial thought was that i had burned a good US$ 9.99 for something i can't really fit into my preference. And how i was so wrong because it turns out that after several through and through appreciation, one of the song in this album, Anesthetize, a 17-minute epic song about the fear of 21st century, about MTV and its cold philosopy, is also one of my favorite song so far. The futuristic back-drop, the gloomy epilogue, and Alex Lifeson as a guest guitarist, provide this 17-minute epic with sobriety and audophile pleasure. Who is Alex Lifeson you say? Err.. stick to your MTV should you asked that question.

2. Norah Jones - Those Sweet Words - Feels Like Home
I remember seeing the video for this song in one morning (you know, where Norah Jones sits in a bar and when the song starts she went to the stage, lights dimmed, and sing the song, karaoke-style. It was sweet, because really, i had always seen her as a homie girl and in the video she looks just like a commoner, almost too shy to actually perform), and immediately went to local store to bought the album the very evening. After all these years, the song still manages to put a shiver within whenever i heard it.

3. Yoko Shimomura - Deep Jungle - Kingdom Hearts OST (Disc 1)
RPGamers only. If you had played the game - and liking it, there's a huge chance you'd fell for its soundtrack because it kinda reminds you of the particular experience. Otherwise, i won't bet on it. In this case, i remembered the music was from the most annoying world in the game. One where i had to constantly timed my jump in order to made that impossibly wide crevasses on a treetops.

4. Green Day - Armatage Shanks - Insomniac
One of only two Green Day albums that i had. I remembered back in 1996/1997, i saw the video for When I Come Around and bought this album (not Dookie, which i bought a couple of years later) and liking every bit of it.

5. Every Little Thing - Kazemachi kokoro moyou - Crispy Park
Love the jazzy part around its guitar solo part. And sometimes, when the mood is right, i could and would sing a long with it.

6. Bon Jovi - Lucky (Demo) - Cross-Road (Limited Edition Disc 2)
Ah! If you're around my age, and never heard of this album or this band during your high-school, then i couldn't even begin to tell you what you had been missed during those glorious years. And i felt sorry for you. Anyway, i had the casette back then when i was in high school, and i just bought the 2 Disc Limited Edition recently on an effort to reminiscence my glorious years as a high schooler, standing on the stage with a guitar in my hand and felt like nothing in this world is bigger or greater than me.

7. Europe - The Final Countdown - 1982-1992
I believe that at one point of every-one's life who had an access to TV in the 80's and 90's would surely had heard and familiar with its famous riff. It was a classic, and certainly the best known single from this Swedish band.

8. Kelly Clarkson - Where is Your Heart - Breakaway
For a reason, i found that i liked her album only for its 5 first tracks. This song is track #7 in the album. Yawn..

9. Queen - Put out the Fire - Hot Space
Just all right.

10. Muse - Hysteria - Absolution
When Muse did a concert in Jakarta, i bought this album together with "Black Holes and Revelation" to help me decide whether i would like to go see the concert or not. I was, however, ran out of ticket.

Digg this

No comments: