Monday, November 19, 2007

Screamfestindo 2007 - Tickets

Yup. Bought the membership for Screamfestindo 2007. After mulling about for about half an hour with the schedule, i had decided to bought five tickets instead of my initially planned ten. Four of the tickets were for films screened on Saturday, December the 1st which require me to be at the theater from noon until shy of midnight. The other ticket is for Sunday, actually more of an obligatory ticket because i had to choose five tickets for the price i had paid.

I bought the tickets for the following movies:

The Girl Next Door. Based on a book which in turns based on a true event about a young girl who went into her aunt after she had lost her parents. There, she was treated unkindly, and what i had meant with unkindly was to the point that the film garnered a negative reviews because of its vivid portrayal of a child abuse (its official MPAA Rating: "Rated R for sadistic torture and sexual abuse, nudity, language and strong sexual dialogue - all involving children."). However, one of my favorite horror film reviewer said that it was horrifying because you know that it was based on a true event, hence you know that it had actually happened. And that was disqueting, and what had made the film horrifying. He said, by the way. I still need to see it.

The Orphanage. Actually, the only reason i was excited about the fest. Official entry for this year's Academy Awards for Best Foreign Film from Spain? produced by Guillermo Del Toro (one of the magnificent trio - along with Pedro Almodovar and Alejandro Gonzales Innaritu - whose movies, either produced and especially directed, were certainly not going to be disappoint)? Oh, i'm so there. I don't even need to see the synopsis of the film. And its poster was a kick ass. Could this film be 2007's Pan's Labyrinth? I surely hope so.

Vexille. Remember The Matrix? It had an undeniable influence from Japan regarding the theme of machine-infested future. Don't believe me? Check the Animatrix. In my opinion, this anime is a must-see. Sets in Japan 2077, where there's a possibility that machines had their claws tight in our society, and a female agent, Vexille, was sent to investigate. Where The Matrix is the post-appocalypse world, i had guessed - and i really hoped that i had guessed correctly - Vexille is the pre-appocalypse world. The trailer of the film let us see a sneak peek of the quality of the animation and it's beautiful.

Surprise Movie. The event organizer was all shhh-shhh about this 'surprise' film. Some of my friend said that since Beyond Re-Animator was screened earlier, there's a great possibility that this 'surprise' film was going to be the original Re-Animator. However, since Re-Animator was scheduled to screened at the time-slot after this film (which is Saturday, midnight), that would eliminate the possibility. All i have is (probably false) assurance from the ticket-booth girl that i wouldn't be disappointed. I had marked her face and her name that should the film disappoint i would have a good start to hunt her down. Kidding.

The Ordeal. An obligatory one actually. I might not attend the screening because it screened on a Sunday 7 pm. I had picked the film because another one of my friend who claimed to dig horror films (not merely crap-topia Indonesian horrors which he detested earnestly) had recommend this film. I'd see then if our taste in horror films were aligned. And since French horror films that had managed to gain popularity rarely disappoint, this film maybe won't disappoint as well.

Digg this

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That looks like quite the festival! Beyond Re-Animator is pretty good, but not as good as the original. Faust is also a half-decent film too (another Jeffrey Combs as well!) :)

Is Stuart Gordon attending the (possible) screening of Re-Animator? Now THAT would be cool!

Have fun! :)

Rhama Arya Wibawa said...

Really? Well, i'd put Faust on my shortlist then, maybe i'd watch it if i had time. One thing for sure, i'm going to avoid The Dentist by all means.

Anonymous said...

"The Dentist" was actually kind of fun, in a really bad movie kind of way. It's another Brian Yuzna (guy who produced "Re-Animator" and directed "Beyond Re-Animator" and "Faust") and he will be attending the festival, I just found out.

Yeah, "Faust" won an award for its special effects - they're done by Screaming Mad George who did a lot of the effects for "Bride of Re-Animator, among other films.

Sorry, I'm a horror geek and I just happened upon your blog b/c I thought it was cool Indonesia was having a horror film fest! *blush*

Rhama Arya Wibawa said...

What are you sorry-ing for? A fellow film aficionado is always welcome here - sorry about my bad English. I'm a horror fan myself, but to call myself a horror geek would be an insult to a true horror geek such as yourself. Disturbing horror films were never my cup of tea, though (Salo, The Flower of Flesh and Blood, Cannibal Holocaust, for instances), i was more into ..uh.. milder stuffs (Nosferatu, The Shining, A Tale of Two Sisters were among my favs).

Anonymous said...

Hello☆
I like Vexille!!!
Did you use the image of the movie ""Vexille"" and know AMV which VJ and others made?
AMVJ-remix sessions
very cool site☆