Thursday, May 29, 2008

First Ruby on Rails Application (Win 32)

Following the step-by-step tutorial to wrote and set-up my very first Ruby on Rails running on Windows32 platform application that merely prints this following greeting screen:
I was immediately faced with this very first problem.
Fortunately, this is a small, almost insignificant problem. When we created our first Ruby on Rails application, by typing the command, in my case, "rails hello" unto the command prompt, Rails automatically creates a database connection (config/database.yml) with sqlite3. It turns out that the problem could be solved in seconds flat by head to http://sqlite.org, download the sqlite3.dll and put it on the "bin" folder of your local Ruby installation, and reload the WEBrick server.

At a first glance, I must say that Ruby on Rails live up to its advertised gimmick, "Web Development that Doesn't Hurt". A friend of mine from my previous job who has no education background in Computer Science or its related, ascertained this fact by saying that "Ruby language is very humane, it is easy for me to understand". I agreed with him on this point. It took far longer time for me to write this post than downloading and made my first Ruby on Rails application up and running.

However, as a programmer in core, with a sufficient eduaction background to support the claim, while it is true - in a sense - that developing web application, at least a simple web application with a simple CRUD with Ruby on Rails is quick and easy, I found out that with Ruby on Rails, I've got a considerably less control than what I would have had I develop the same web application with my preferred arsenal, Java. But as I've pointed out earlier in this blog, I had planned to give Ruby a chance by seeing for myself how things turned out with this beast.

As you can see in the images, I develop the very first Ruby on Rails application on my Toshiba Satellite running Windows XP, and accessed through the network from my Mac OS X. Next in this blog, developing Ruby on Rails on my preferred platform, Mac OS X and probably aforementioned step-by-step tutorial in its wholesome.

Digg this

No comments: