Friday, May 30, 2008

The Programmer's Bill of Rights

This post is by no means an original. The credit is due to Jeff Atwood at codinghorror.com. I merely re-wrote the bills and tried to discern it with my current work-space.

1. Every programmer shall have two monitors.
Recent study actually documented that productivity does increase with an extra monitor addition. I had, in a sense, worked with two monitors as well. A 13-inch MacBook and a 12-inch Toshiba Satellite albeit each of them running a different OS.

2. Every programmer shall have a fast machine.
Naturally. My machines weren't the fastest in the market, but i have upgraded each of them to tout a 3GB and a 2GB memory for my MacBook and Toshiba Satellite respectively.

3. Every programmer shall have their choice of mouse and keyboard.
I've been giving it some thought. Obviously, being an Apple fan-boy, i wouldn't settle less than a razor-thin Wireless Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse. But really, given their prices? All the more reason for me to at least postponed the idea until i deemed them necessary.

4. Every programmer shall have a comfortable chair.
The very first thing that i WILL buy when i bought a house next year (at the latest) is my own selection of Chair. I've been eyeing for a US$ 1100+ Herman Miller Aeron. Dear wife, you had to understand, i WILL buy that chair, regardless of what you'd going to say :D.

5. Every programmer shall have a fast internet connection.
Can't complain at all. The internet connection at my current office easily dwarfed any other place i had been working on including my beloved campus, at midnight.

6. Every programmer shall have quiet working conditions.
Now, this is somewhat still a luxury i couldn't really afford just yet. That's why i prefer to stay quite late at the office when everybody else has gone.

Digg this

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

programmer's bill of right!
yeah, right! :D Internet connection is a MUST!