Friday, May 30, 2008

2008: Year in Review. The First Five Months

The first five months of the year 2008 has come and gone rather quickly. This is my take on films released at each of the passed months. As usual, the release dates are for North America release.

January (8/18):

- One Missed Call. 1/2. My review.
- The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: A VeggieTales Movie. N/A.
- First Sunday. N/A.
- 27 Dresses. **1/2. My review.
- Beaufort. N/A.
- Still Life. N/A.
- Teeth. **. My review.
- Cassandra's Dream. **1/2. Review coming.
- Taxi to the Dark Side. N/A.
- Mad Money. N/A.
- Cloverfield. ***1/2. My review.
- 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. ***1/2. My review.
- Meet the Spartans. Zero (minus four stars if it's possible). Do i need to review it? NO! An ugly excuse of a film. Save yourself. DON'T EVER SEE THIS FILM.
- Alice's House. N/A.
- Untraceable. N/A.
- Rambo. **1/2. My review.
- How She Move. N/A.
- U2 3D. N/A.

February (6/29):

- Caramel. N/A.
- Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour. N/A. Not interested at all.
- Strange Wilderness. 1/2. Another painful excuse for a comedy.
- Over Her Dead Body. *1/2. My review.
- Praying With Lior. N/A.
- The Witnesses. N/A.
- The Eye. *1/2. Another slew of Asian horror remade. The best part from the original Asian release that made me jumped my seat was noticeably absent. But Jessica Alba is still hot, blind or not.
- How to Rob a Bank. N/A.
- Fool's Gold. N/A.
- Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins. N/A.
- In Bruges. N/A.
- The Band's Visit. N/A.
- Vince Vaughn's Wild West Comedy Show. N/A.
- Bab'Aziz - The Prince Who Contemplated His Soul. N/A.
- Vexille. **. My review.
- The Year My Parents Went on Vacation. N/A.
- Definitely, Maybe. N/A.
- Step Up 2 the Streets. N/A.
- The Spiderwick Chronicles. N/A.
- Jodhaa Akbar. N/A.
- George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead. N/A.
- Me & You, Us, Forever. N/A.
- Jumper. *. My review.
- La Traviata. N/A.
- Vantage Point. **1/2. Despite the political inaccuracy, and tendency to rely on luck, this film is probably a very much an underrated thriller.
- Charlie Bartlett. N/A.
- The Counterfeiters. N/A.
- Be Kind Rewind. N/A.
- Witless Protection. N/A.

March (7/28):

- Semi-Pro. *. If you want to see a film where you laughing at other people for their genuine stupidity, this film would at times, satisfactory. Even so, given the nature of the film, it is largely uninspiring.
- La Vie En Rose. ***1/2. My review.
- Bonneville. N/A.
- City of Men. N/A.
- Penelope. N/A.
- Other Boleyn Girl. **1/2. Review coming.
- 10,000 B.C. *1/2. My review.
- College Road Trip. N/A.
- Bank Job. **1/2. My review.
- Married Life. N/A.
- Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. N/A.
- Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who. ***. My review.
- Funny Games. N/A.
- Doomsday. N/A.
- Never Back Down. N/A.
- Hammer. N/A.
- Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns. N/A.
- Shutter. N/A.
- Drillbit Taylor. N/A.
- Under the Same Moon. N/A.
- Race. N/A.
- 21. N/A.
- Flawless. N/A.
- Run, Fat Boy, Run. **. My review.
- Priceless. N/A.
- Stop-Loss. N/A.
- Superhero Movie!. N/A.
- One Two Three. N/A.

April (3/20):

- Shine a Light. N/A.
- Nim's Island. N/A.
- Leatherheads. N/A.
- My Blueberry Nights. N/A.
- Ruins. N/A.
- Prom Night. N/A.
- Visitor. N/A.
- Krazzy 4. N/A.
- U Me Aur Hum. N/A.
- Smart People. N/A.
- Street Kings. **1/2. Pretty cool stuff actually, procedural cop film where good cops pitted against dirty copes. Remind me of Training Day. Shouldn't be surprising though, since these films were written by the very same people.
- Forbidden Kingdom. *1/2. Every fanboy's dream? Pitting the legends Jet Li against Jackie Chan? Probably true. Unfortunately, the best part of this film was the fight between Jet Li vs Jackie Chan while the rest of the film was largely ignorable. You could probably just YouTube it.
- Forgetting Sarah Marshall. N/A.
- 88 Minutes. *. I don't feel like writing a capsule on this one.
- Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed. N/A.
- Baby Mama. N/A.
- Tashan. N/A.
- Deception. N/A.
- Then She Found Me. N/A.
- Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay. N/A.

May (4/15):

- Iron Man. ***. My review. This film has received a staggering 93% approval nods from RottenTomatoes.com easily the best for the year. I may have to see it once again.
- Redbelt. N/A.
- Fugitive Pieces. N/A.
- Son of Ranbow. N/A.
- Made of Honor. N/A.
- Speed Racer. **1/2. My review.
- What Happens in Vegas. N/A.
- Before the Rains. N/A.
- Fall. N/A.
- Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. **. My review.
- How the Garcia Girls Spent Their Summers. N/A.
- Reprise. N/A.
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. **1/2. My review.
- War, Inc. N/A.
- Children of Huang Shi. N/A.

From what i could see, we've seen AT LEAST 110 titles released in the first five months of this year. From the 110, i've seen only 28 of them. Roughly 25%. From these 28, i love Cloverfield, 4 Months 3 Weeks and 2 Days, and La Vie en Rose the most, with Iron Man and Horton Hears a Who in close pursuit and simply loathed Meet the Spartans.

Digg this

No comments: